Assistance With Landlord

Senior Couple With Realtor

Do you have a problem with your landlord?

Common Landlord-Tenant Relationships:

  • Private tenancy, with OR without written lease, weekly, month-to-month, or longer term
  • Public housing, Section 8, Senior, or another subsidized housing program
  • Mobile Home Park tenancies, typically:
    • Own the mobile home and rent the lot; or
    • Rent the mobile home and lot
  • Condominium tenancy – rent the unit from the owner

Common Landlord-Tenant Problems:

  • Rent payment problems/disputes
  • Repair issues
  • Mold problems
  • Disability accommodation
  • Property damaged by storm
  • Condominium/other landlord foreclosure

Florida law varies depending on the type of tenancy. If you have a problem with your landlord…

  1. DO NOT withhold rent until you seek legal advice (Florida does not have a “repair and deduct” policy).
  2. DO seek legal advice if you receive a WRITTEN NOTICE from the landlord (even if the Notice is not from the Court)
  3. DO seek legal advice IMMEDIATELY if you are served with a SUMMONS (the time to respond to the Court is very short)
  4. DO NOT spend rent money until you have received legal advice (the Court may require you to deposit money in its Registry until your dispute is settled)

If you have a question about your rights as a tenant under Florida law or you are having problems with your tenancy:

Call the Florida Senior Legal Helpline, 1-888-895-7873. Eligible seniors can get FREE legal information and advice by appointment over the phone.

IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED A SUMMONS: Call your local Legal Services program ASAP and explain that you have been served. You may have defenses to an eviction lawsuit. A lawyer can advise you and assist you with filing an appropriate and timely response.

The Florida Senior Legal Helpline is a free statewide legal service funded by the Florida Department of Elder Affairs and managed by Bay Area Legal Services, Inc. We provide free legal advice and brief services to Florida residents aged 60 and older, and work in partnership with IIIB-funded and other Legal Aid and Legal Services organizations to provide referrals for representation as resources permit.